Labor & Employment Attorney / Employment Law - General Attorney / Employment Law - Litigation Employer Defense Attorney / Employment Law - Litigation Plaintiffs & Class Actions Attorney / Employment Law - Management (Compliance & Counseling) Attorney / Em
Freedom House | Washington, DC, United States
Industry: Legal | Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: May 15, 2023
Salary: USD 130000 to 150000 Annually | Experience: 7 Years
Practice Areas: Labor & Employment
Qualifications: Bachelor s degree required, Master's degree in industrial relations, Human Resources, Business or related area or Law degree and Senior Professional Human Resources (SPHR) certification desired, Certified mediator helpful
## Employee & Labor Relations Director
Organization is looking for an experienced Employee & Labor Relations Director to lead labor relations activities, provide guidance, support, training and counsel to staff and managers in employee and labor relations, compliance, policies & procedures, performance management and other employment legal matters. The position is based in Washington DC, with the possibility of remote work within the DMV.
### About Organization
Organization is a non-partisan, non-profit organization that works to defend and expand freedom globally to help secure a world where all are free. Around the world, repressive regimes are preventing billions of people from exercising their fundamental rights. The organization identifies and analyzes threats to freedom, mobilizes decision makers to respond to those threats and seize opportunities for progress, and supports activists and organizations working to defend and expand freedom. Organization serves as a positive model of democratic practice at home and a consistent champion of freedom globally.
### Position Summary
The Employee & Labor Relations Director will play a leadership role in all labor relations activities, which includes but is not limited to advising on collective bargaining negotiations; and providing guidance, support, training and counsel to staff and managers in employee and labor relations, compliance, policies & procedures, performance management and other employment legal matters. As first point of contact in all US employee and labor relations matters, the Director will find solutions that reduce risk to the organization, provide appropriate support to all US-based employees, and ensure a fair, consistent approach to employee and labor relations practices. Additionally, they will create programs and initiatives that help to support positive relations between union and non-union staff, the union itself, and the organization with the goal of promoting employee engagement and satisfaction. The position will also work closely with the Director of Global Talent & Culture (T&C) as Organization prioritizes equity across all of Organization. The responsibilities of this role include proactive and responsive employee and labor relations, workplace investigations, management consultations, employee mediations, and other complex employee and labor relations matters in the US. Balancing time between the reactive and proactive spaces, training, policy development and culture cultivation will be critical for success in this role. This is a regular full time position.
### Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves on the Management Bargaining Committee and provides labor relations support throughout the collective bargaining negotiation process, including drafting and reviewing articles of agreement;
- Participates in the development and execution of labor relations strategies, provides guidance and proactively resolves labor relations issues;
- Ensures organizational compliance with collective bargaining agreements by interpreting and implementing articles of agreement;
- Serves as a lead point of contact with union representative provides direction in addressing and resolving grievances and other labor management/union issues.
- Represents Organization before the NLRB, federal courts and other legal matters.
- Designs, cascades and promotes standardized processes, templates, tools and/or technologies to managing employee and labor relations, corrective action administration and escalated issue resolution protocols;
- Manages employee relations matters to ensure that confidential personnel information, organization processes and procedures meet internal and external audit requirements;
- Works with the T&C Team to administer, follow-up, and provide support to create solutions-based strategies to address organizational risks;
- Establishes credibility as a resource throughout the organization through problem solving and coaching techniques;
- Collaborates with VP, T&C on initiatives and processes informed by diversity, equity, and inclusion and focused on employee retention by promoting a high level of employee engagement in alignment with our culture pillars;
- Develops and recommends core Talent & Culture training programs that advance organizational mission, values and ways of working in a unionized environment;
- Leads investigations into labor relations matters, administers disciplinary actions, leave administration, job reclassifications and conflict resolution;
- Administers federal/state leave policies and assists in the design and implementation of organization policies and procedures;
- Bachelor s degree required. Master's degree in industrial relations, Human Resources, Business or related area or Law degree and Senior Professional Human Resources (SPHR) certification desired. Certified mediator helpful.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in a Human Resources with 5 of those years in employee relations and labor relations.
- Knowledge of contract administration and management of union - related matters
- Experience in a union environment required.
- Ability to develop and execute a proactive employee and labor relations strategy focused on building, leading change, and reinforcing a positive work environment.
- Well-versed in the National Labor Relations Act and in relevant case law.
- Extensive knowledge of National Labor Relations Board and federal court precedent with an understanding of the litigation process to help predict outcomes and impact on Organization to reduce risk and ensure compliance.
- Extensive knowledge of employment law and practices (with an emphasis on ADA, the interactive process for accommodation requests, and leave of absence requirements).
- Understanding of organization policies, procedures, state and federal laws, with the ability to apply the knowledge to multiple situations.
- Ability to independently conduct a thorough and comprehensive investigation and strong mediation and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience administering, leaves of absence, and legal compliance (FMLA, ADA);
- Exceptional written and verbal/nonverbal skills, along with finely tuned interpersonal skills and professional judgment.
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and emotional intelligence toward employees, also serving as a trusted resource;
- Have a
Thank You for Your Application
Your profile is created. Your email is your user name.
Please configure your password for future used.
Your application has been submitted successfully!